Saturday, March 6, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

When Leisa and I were in Los Angeles, they had this picture blown up to the size of a 20 story building and hanging down the whole side. So it got us curious about what it was going to be like and what it was even about. Both of us had never seen the original cartoon before, so we checked it out from the library and watched it. We both thought it was random but clever and we both liked it, even though it ends kind of abruptly. (Segue...this guy standing in line behind us was talking to his girlfriend and said "I wonder if this one is going to have a plot because the first one didn't." Leisa and I both looked at each other and laughed because it is so true but we had never thought of it before.) So after watching the original and coming across some previews on line, we were really excited to watch it. And then after watching Avatar in 3D, we became even more excited. We tried going last night, but it was sold out, so we got tickets for this afternoon. I seriously had a hard time sleeping last night in anticipation.

The movie was amazing!! If you like the work of Tim Burton, you are going to love this movie!! If you love Johnny Depp in the Pirates trilogy, you are going to love him in this!!! And if you don't like either but like the original Alice movie, then you are still going to like this one! And if you don't like any of the three things mentioned, then you should just go read a book or something. On our way out, we both commented that we liked it better than Avatar. The 3D was a lot more clever and playful. It actually acted like a 3D movie by having butterflies come out of the screen, branches flying in your face, etc. I think Leisa's critique sums it up best "That was the shiz-niz!!" Definitely go see it!! And if you haven't seen the original cartoon, you should see it first before going.

4 comments:

mom/Janet said...

All I have to say, whether I go to the movie or not is this,......"I'm glad you have someone to go to the movies with. It would break my heart when you'd go to a movie alone. I just couldn't do it. I'm glad Leisa came along.

Emalei Ambrosio said...

Sorry, dude. This movie looks too psychedelic for me. I love Johnny Depp, but I didn't like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for the same reason I don't think I'll like this one.

Oh, and I always had weird nightmares about the original Alice in Wonderland too. Watching it makes me think of what a drug trip would be like.

I'm a downer. Sorry. I'm glad you guys had fun and liked it though!

Jeanna said...

I love Johnny Depp, but really don't like Tim Burton at all. My kids dig some of his flicks, but I just can't do it.

I really have no desire to see this movie at all. Never saw Avatar either. And, never saw the original Alice.

Is this another sign of age? Perfect.

Aunt Beth said...

Could you please provide a definition and pronounciation for "shiz-niz?"

Hey, Janet: Do you feel sorry for me when you think about all the movies I've gone to by myself the last nearly 40 years? Just curious.