Monday, April 12, 2010

Leisa's amazing cooking skills......

They say a picture is worth a thousand words AND... that pretty much sums this one up, but in my defense I have to explain.

Dale and I decided to invite a couple in our ward over for Sunday dinner, we planned a very yummy dinner and were super excited. I decided to be extra on top of things and prepare a little of the dinner before church so that afterwords all I would have to do is throw everything in the oven and it would be ready. Good idea right???

So, in order to make this fantastic looking recipe for a potato casserole, it called for shredded potatoes. I shredded the potatoes, covered them and put them in the fridge. Thinking, when I got home I would throw the sauce on them and put them in to cook. WELL, to my surprise when I got home from church the potatoes had turned BLACK!!! I immediately started crying thinking I had ruined everything.... called my mom to see what secrets she might hold, and surprised Dale when he got home from church and found me crying!

well, I ended up cooking the potatoes anyway and yes.... we ate them.... (you can see in the picture a small amount has been consumed!) The couple luckily thought it was humorous and in the end so did I, but after about 3 bites I couldn't force myself to eat anymore... Dale was a sweetheart and ate all of his....

A lesson learned..... Don't shred potatoes until you're ready, OR you can soak them in cold water and I guess they don't turn black.... ( thanks to Mom's knowledge and the internet)
And just to let you know, we didn't save them for leftovers- they all went in the garbage..... oops

PS- This is my very first post on our blog, I figured I had to take the honor and this was a great occasion!

11 comments:

e.m. said...

so. funny.

man i love you!

Zane and Cami said...

I'm proud of you for posting! Look at you go- Slash, pretty sure I would have done the same thing, so don't worry!

Rio said...

Haha...that's funny! Don't worry I've done the same thing before.Except it was just Nate and I and we didn't dare eat it, so kuddos to you for still attempting to eat it :)

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if frozen potatoes would have turned black, too. Yep, that is a total newbie mistake, but one you will never, ever forget! I've cut potatoes before church for mashed potatoes, but left them in water.

You pretty much rock as a new married woman.

Jeanna

Abbie said...

In all my years of cooking I knew that potatoes quickly turned an orangish color if not cooked quickly but I'm glad you did this before I could! LOL. I'm pretty sure I could have done the same thing. I'll remember to leave them in water. Welcome to the blogging world!!!

mom/Janet said...

Nothing like making your first blog entry about your mistake. You learn best from mistakes. What good guest to eat them anyway and your husbands mother must have taught him well how to treat a woman/wife. You're too cute.

Bridget said...

My question is, how did they taste??!

leisa said...

to be quite honest... they color didn't make them taste awful, it was a complete mind over matter test for me, and I just couldn't do it, but the recipe in general wasn't that good, so they still wouldn't have tasted that good being white potatoes!!! And yes.... my cute husband does know how to treat me... he's great :)

Dane said...

Wow... I'm not going to lie... I had no idea that potatoes did that. I'm glad you did it first! Nothing better than learning from other's mistakes. :)

Aunt Beth said...

A book about a people's major and minor cooking & baking mistakes would be quite a fun read I think. I'll just share mine: Didn't realize you had to pit cherries BEFORE putting them into the pie crust. When mother realized I hadn't pitted them, she said I had to remove and pit them before baking the pie. I tried to argue that people could just remove them as they ate the finished product. That didn't go over well and I did as mother said.

Aunt Beth said...

OK, here is another person's potato tale of woe: A recipe called for 6-8 potatoes. A newbie thought that meant '68' potatoes! She probably had carpel tunnel by the time she finished that major peeling undertaking.