Thursday, May 26, 2011

U2 Concert


I heard on the radio back in February that U2 would be in SLC in May. I love U2 so much and so I approached Leisa and asked her what she thought. Here is how the conversation went. Me: What would you think about going to the U2 concert in May? Leisa: Well, I don't really know U2 that well. How much are the tickets? Me: About $50 a piece. Pretty good deal for such good seats and a killer concert. Leisa: $100!?!?! That is a little too much for something I don't even care about that much. Me: The Fray is opening for them. Leisa: Where do I buy the tickets!!!!! So The Fray was the tipping point for Leisa. The concert was this last Tuesday and it was honestly the perfect night. Time didn't go by too fast. It was just perfect. The company was perfect. The weather turned out to be perfect, which is a miracle here in Utah.

This was the view from our seats. As you will see in later videos, we were at the back end of the stage. But that large video screen hooked us up with all the pictures we would have needed. Also, since the stage is 360 degrees, the band members would come by our way probably every 15 min or so.

Here is the perfect company I was talking about.

 
The Fray played about a 45 minute set. All of their popular songs were included, as well as some new songs they have just written but not released. It was a great opening!!


Here is them playing "You Found Me". It is probably my favorite song of theirs. I have found in the past that the largest videos that this blog can handle is around 15 seconds, so all the clips are about that long. If you are interested in seeing more clips, let me know and I can email them to you. It will take too long to post them all here. The Fray got done about 7:45 and we thought U2 would start up soon after. Well, they ended up not going on till 9 pm. The screen had some cool facts scrolling across it so we sort of kept ourselves entertained by that. When they came out though, the crowd got rowdy!! We were ready for some action!! And they didn't dissapoint!
The band coming out of the tunnel.

 
Bono serenading the crowd with "Even Better Than The Real Thing". The stage was a sight to behold. It was 167 ft tall and the light show that went along with it was what really made the grade!! It was so entertaining to see it change colors. The video screen, again, was so crisp and clear and made it an enjoyable concert no matter where you sat.

Here is the stage from our seats. It was so tall and had that cool looking disco ball on top of it. Again, the colors were changing almost constantly. From blue to red to yellow, etc.

Then out of nowhere, the screen started breaking apart and dropped down over the band. Then they busted into "Zooropa". Not a song I was that familiar with, but really cool effects anyways.

Here is video of "Zooropa" and the stage.
Here is a picture of the video screen when they said their first goodbye. They would come back for two more Encores. The whole set was 24 songs!!!

 
During the Encore, a microphone with a round, red circle dropped from the sky and Bono would swing on it while singing. It was cool.

One final picture of the stage. It was so cool!!

The band saying goodbye for good!!! They were such entertainers. Bono read a poem about Utah before busting out into "Beautiful Day". He thanked us for our patience in waiting almost a year for him to recover from back surgery. We loved every minute of this concert and wish we could go to another.


1 comment:

Aunt Beth said...

I know I've been busy but I can't believe this is the first I'm hearing about this concert. Can't wait to hear more in person SOON.