Saturday, February 25, 2012

HAWAII

We had the awesome opportunity to visit Hawaii this month, it was amazing! We left little Will behind with my Sister-in-law and headed out on a great vacation.
We left SLC and headed to San Francisco, where we saw Air Force One, that was neat, I have never seen that airplane before.

San Francisco Airport, Dale was loving life eating Clam Chowder our of a sourdough bread bowl, while I enjoyed eating some Ghirardelli chocolate... YUM!

Aloha!!!
We made it!


These are some pictures of our resort where we stayed- beautiful and amazing private beach!


The first day in Hawaii we visited the DOLE plantation.

Eating the famous Dole Whip.... nice mid-morning snack :) Who says ice-cream is only for after dinner??

Look at the TINY pineapple!

They had these cool signs that told you how far away other places in the world were... interesting- maybe we should go to Antarctica next?!

The Koi pond.... these fish were CRAZY!

We visited some amazing beaches and got quite a bit of sun....


Waimea Falls- beautiful short hike up to a waterfall! We decided to swim over to the falls, the water was pretty cold until you felt the actual waterfall which was WARM water.

Eating at Haleiwa Thai, the food was amazing!

Such beautiful beaches

And you can't go to Hawaii without seeing a beautiful Sunset

Visiting the blowhole--- figured we had to see it since we met at La Bufadora Blowhole in Mexico!!!

Of course... I stopped looking right as it began to blow

not that great compared to La Bufadora

We hiked up to Makapu'u Point, gorgeous views. I guess a lot of times you can spot whales on this hike, no luck today

It was SOOOOO WINDY!

Taking a beautiful drive up to Nu'uanu Pali Lookout

It was so windy, we were only there for about 3 minutes! you could barely stand up against the wind.

Visiting Valley of the Temples, I think this is Hawaii's golden secret- not a lot of tourists and yet, so amazing! It is a memorial park where thousands of different religions have come together to form a cemetery.

The Byodo-In Temple, a Buddhist temple

With a 9-ft Buddha statue sitting on a gold lotus leaf

taking turn ringing the Gong.... such a cool sound

Visiting China-man's Hat

This Mountain and valleys surrounding it is where Godzilla and Jurassic Park were filmed.


'Iolani Palace- this is a beautiful Palace where the King and Queen of Hawaii lived, it is the only royal palace in the United States.
you can't take pictures inside so you just get to enjoy this one picture of our feet before we entered!
They were VERY wealthy, they had electricity before the White House did!


Downtown Honolulu, visiting the King Kamehameha Statue
Another amazing place in Honolulu. The Punch Bowl. It is technically called the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, but nicknamed the Punch bowl due to the fact that is it located in a natural crater, forming a bowl. SO COOL!

View of honolulu with Diamond Head in the background, which we didn't get to hike because they were closing when we finally got up there- oh well.... maybe next time

O'ahu Cemetery

Few other facts about our trip.... Live with Kelly was filming while we were there, she had a lot of celebrity guest appearances, didn't see anybody ourselves, but still cool--- They filmed in the Disney resort which is right next to where we stayed, PS.. that resort is amazing- we walked through it and saw the outdoor swimming area- nice! Also, Elizabeth Smart was married in the Laie LDS Temple while we were there, very cool. To see the other half of our trip, hit "Older Posts".

4 comments:

Zane and Cami said...

How fun!!!! So glad that you guys got to have a getaway! I can't wait until Zane and I can go there together. so much fun.

mom/Janet said...

Wow, you covered alot of ground. I think you should have put the picture of Will in his Hawiin outfit on the last post. Glad you had a good time.

Jessica said...

I'm so wanting to go back to Hawaii now! I love that you got to see Air Force One. How cool is that?! Your hair is so long, Leisa! Love the Dole Plantation and I'm jealous of your pineapple pictures. ;) We saw the Halona Blowhole when we went also because we had seen La Bufadora! You guys did so many things that we didn't do. How fun!

Aunt Beth said...

What terrific posts. I especially liked the temples and cemetery location but enjoyed all of it. Gosh, you're almost celebs, between Air Force One, Live with Kelly and Elizabeth Smart. Didn't realize I was hob-nobbing with such famous types this past weekend!