Sunday, October 13, 2013

A disgusting and frustrating day.....

A few weeks ago the weather finally cooled down enough that it was reasonable to think about going for a bike ride. My bike ride consists of taking Will along in the bike trailer, and when its 100+ degrees outside, its just too hot for him and for me.  
So.... we woke up all ready to go, William was so excited! We went outside to our patio where we keep our bikes and trailer and started getting the tires pumped up on my bike. Then I grabbed the trailer which was folded and leaning against the wall, as I laid it down flat, I noticed a small hole in the top and thought to myself, "hmm, it must have been melted by the electrical outlet, since it was leaning against it, bummer". Then as I lifted one side of the trailer I noticed the hole continued to the next layer and instantly thought.... "that doesn't look like it was melted it looks more like it was chewed.... oh no, do we have a mouse, am I going to find a mouse inside this trailer?!". At this point I was very nervous as to what I was going to find inside the trailer so I continued opening it, leaning as far back as possible. When I had it opened completely, I did not find a mouse but rather about 25-30 SNAILS!!! I was so disgusted I could hardly stand it. There seemed to be so many of them and they were all dead and as you can see in the picture they were caught up in the straps and had ruined and chewed the straps. I was SO mad. We haven't even had this trailer for a year, and it was so nice and we loved riding around with it. Anyway, I snapped this photo, called Dale and spent the rest of the day angry and disgusted that this could happen. I didn't even know snails could do this, eat through things and destroy things. so gross! 

Well, luckily I married Dale who came home and took care of business. He cleaned out all the snails, cleaned the trailer and cut off the straps and made it seem like it wasn't as big as deal as I was making it out to be...... 



So, turns out that the snails really only ruined the straps. There are a few small holes where they crawled in, you can see one in the upper right corner of the black mesh. And there is a hole in the cup holder, but luckily the holes don't ruin the trailer.  So I visited the local craft store and bought some strap material, it's brighter than the original straps but matches the trailer almost perfectly : ) I thought it was going to be such a simple project, but then my sewing machine broke.... and so I had to wait til General Conference where I was able to use my friends machine to finish the project.




Who knew a simple bike ride would turn into a such a big, complicated project.... so a few weeks have passed and we finally were able to get outside on a bike ride. It was wonderful! Will enjoyed it and I loved it. 





And yes... I bought this..... I hope to never see another snail again! 



5 comments:

WesLaurie said...

OH Leisa, you are so funny! I wish I could have been there! How GROSS! I wouldn't have been able to clean it up either. Nice husband you have!!! I am SO impressed with your ability to fix things! I might have been tempted to throw it away but with Dale cleaning it and you sewing and fixing, it's almost better than new!! You guys are great!

mom/Janet said...

Glad to know my son is a fixer upper. I can see him thinking it wasn't that big of a deal.

Jessica said...

That is so NASTY! I can't even bring myself to click on that first picture for a closer view. :P Barf! I love that you were able to save it though. I love the new straps even more!

Heidi said...

This story in awesome. Gross..for sure. I never knew snails would do that. Nice job sewing new straps though, very nice!

Emalei Ambrosio said...

Ewwww! That is the last thing I expected! I am still grossed out thinking about it. So glad you guys were able to fix it though! :) Wish we had one of those for Matteo!