We headed to the South over Memorial Day and the days following. I had never been and we had such a great time exploring!
The pilot and crew are always so nice. I can't name how many times Will has been to the cockpit but this might have been the coolest. The first officer was so animated and let Will push buttons and sound alarms, Will seriously thought he had driven the airplane and failed the engines. I did too with all the sounds he was causing to go off.
We flew into New Orleans and spent the night and then explored the following day. It was SO hot and humid!!!
Super dome
Spotted one of our churches. Always fun to see! We didn't take pictures but we saw some amazing southern mansion homes along this road. It was unreal, I wish I could explore some of their houses!
Fell in LOVE with Magnolia flowers and trees while here. Now I know what Joanna Gaines obsession is!!!
Explored a cemetery. SO interesting since all the tombs are above ground. Also, can totally see why they have haunted cemetery tours (count me out!).
We visited the Tree of Life
This was one of the coolest trees I've ever seen. It was massive and over 300 years old. Some of its limbs are laying on the ground but it's still alive and growing. I didn't get the coloring right on my camera until we were leaving but it was beautiful!
So amazing!
We then drove out to the Barataria Preserve--- this was so awesome! Yet, it was SOOOO hot that the kids struggled and we were smart enough to NOT bring water... ugh. We didn't make it all the way to the marsh but walking through the Bayou was amazing. We saw a few snakes, frogs and heard lots of sounds. Luckily we didn't see an alligator... I had nightmares leading up to this hike so I am very glad we made it out alive!
There is a small snake sitting on the leaf.
Next we headed downtown to Jackson square and St. Louis Cathedral
Jackson Square is the site of the Louisiana Purchase and St. Louis Cathedral is the oldest cathedral in America.
It was Memorial Day so there were a lot of people out and about. We came across this really great jazz band. They put on a great show and drew quite the crowd. They loved and the crowd loved our kids. People were taking pictures of the band and our kids clapping and dancing to the music.
This is called the Rusty Rainbow. It goes over the train tracks and connects you to a city park that lies between the river and the train tracks. It look really nice and is long so it has a great walking path. We just climbed the rainbow and went back. But it was cool to see.
Enjoying our very yummy but VERY messy Beignets!!!



2 comments:
Love that Will thought he had flown the airplane! How cool! I am not jealous of the heat and humidity you guys had. Apparently we'll need to visit Louisiana in the winter! The cemetery and tree are very cool! The bayou boardwalks look fun too! The Rust Rainbow looks like a place we would visit also. Thanks for the idea!
We have been to most of those places and loved our trip there! Fun to see your pictures. I especially love the boardwalk pictures in the swamp. We didn't go there.
When I was younger we had a magnolia tree in our backyard and I LOVE their flowers and perfume scent.
Post a Comment