Ever since Harold found out that Leisa and I would be living in St. George, he wanted to come and visit. Leisa and I love the Nichols family and so we talked it over and decided to invite them down one of the two long weekends in winter. They had other plans over MLK weekend and so we decided on President's weekend. We both were really looking forward to it and thinking of the different things we could all do. When I first moved down here, there wasn't much that we thought we could do, so we just kept our eyes open and slowly things started popping up. We found this really cool hike to take, we remembered that there are two historic homes to tour and then most recently, we discovered this awesome cupcake shop that sells them for $1 after 7 pm. So we set up the schedule and got ready for them to come down.
Friday night they got here around 7:30 and so we just had dinner ready for them and ate and socialized. Around 9 Harold said "Man, I am tired. Would you be offended if I went to bed." I quickly answered "Yes!" So we stayed up for a while longer and just caught up since it had been since we got married that we had seen them or really talked with them.
Saturday morning we took our time getting up (I think that sounds better than "slept in") and had french toast for breakfast and then went on a little hike that looks out over the whole valley. The hike goes around a bluff here in town and so you start out looking over St. George and then walk around to the other side of the bluff and look out west towards Santa Clara and Green Valley (for anyone who is familiar with the area). It was a great hike because it wasn't that difficult. It was good exercise and the weather was awesome, but it didn't really wear anyone out. Then we came back and got ready for the day and headed out to the Jacob Hamblin home. The tour guide asked us if we knew much about him and everyone pointed to me and said "He is related to Jacob Hamblin." That didn't really mean much though because unfortunately, I don't really know much about him. It was cool to learn about him and some of the great things he did. Then we went to the Brigham Young winter home. It was cool because our tour guide was a sister that Harold worked with as the Ward Mission Leader in Payson. She gave us a great tour and it was amazing because all of the furniture, plates, paintings, pictures, beds, etc were the real deal. They weren't replicas from the era. They were the real thing. After that tour we headed to Brick Oven for some Lovin'. Then quick pit stop to change into our suits and go swimming and soak in the hot tub. Then, if you can believe it, we found time to go to 25 Main, which is the place to get $1 cupcakes. I think everyone enjoyed them and it was a cool atmosphere. We called it a night after that.
Sunday, we again took our time getting up, but since it was Valentine's Day, Leisa carried on a tradition from her family of cooking us red pancakes with red milk. It was enjoyed by all. We then retired to our rooms for some Sabbath rest. It was off to church and then back for a very good (if I can say so myself) Sunday dinner. We then walked it off by going to the temple and visitor's center. It was a very nice evening. Then we topped it off by playing games and just laughing. It was great because it felt like the old days when I went over to Harold and Jeanna's house literally every Sunday for hours on end.
Monday was the day they left, but not until we drove out to the new airport they are building here in St. George. It was great for us aviation enthusiasts to see and bearable for the rest. :) Then we had promised the kids to go to the "park for adults". Again, this place is amazing. It is perfect for kids that are 11-14, which the Nichols' kids are. It was packed, but not terribly. Harold and I enjoyed watching the planes fly overhead while Leisa and Jeanna enjoyed conversing. Then it was lunch time at Cafe Rio and then they left.
When they left, it was sunny without a cloud in the sky and the temps topping off at 66. Harold called me when they got back to Utah County and said it was freezing, cloudy, and raining. I am just glad we had a perfect time with them while they were here. Thanks for coming and don't hesitate to come back!!
As far as pictures go, I remembered to take the camera on the hike and to the two homes. That was it and it made me mad each time I realized I had forgotten the camera. I should have just left it in the car. Enjoy what I have.
| Mackson on the path less traveled...and that is what made all the difference. |
| Leisa and the beautiful view west towards Santa Clara. |
| The kids found a hole in a rock they swore they could survive in if they ever got kicked out of the house. Funny what their fears are at that age. |
| The whole gang (minus Leisa) in front of the Jacob Hamblin home. It really is a pretty good size home for back then, I think. Notice the completely blue sky (and remember the date was February 13th). |
| The winter home of Brigham Young. The man lived in style. It was a spectacular home. At the Jacob Hamblin home, they brag about this great rod they invented to cook their meals in the fire. Then you go to the Brigham Young home and he had this huge cast iron stove that was ahead of its time. It was kind of humorous. You could imagine Jacob coming to visit Brigham and then leaving to go home to his humble abode. |
| The kids enjoying the new age seesaw. They had a great time for a few hours. |
6 comments:
i like see-sawing. and warm weather. and i like you (and leisa). and pink pancakes! maybe wyatt and i should come visit...
I'm so glad u got at least a few pics! And, as u know, we loved loved lovedour visit!
It sounds like you're great hosts. Can't wait to come and visit some time.
I made the traditional pink pancakes and pink milk for Andrew and I, Leisa! Though I call them pink and not red... ;)
Looks like you guys are quite the tour guides! :) Aren't you glad you have an apt. big enough to host 4 guests at a time!!!
I think you should open a travel business on the side. It's in the blood.
Just a suggestion for picture captions with your wife in the picture: "My beautiful Leisa looking west toward Santa Clara." JUST a suggestion.
Post a Comment