Saturday, February 27, 2010

CCC...(Colbie Caillat Concert)

For those of you who are like my mom, you're asking yourselves who Colbie Caillat is. She sings a few songs that are on the radio a lot and she just so happens to be Leisa's favorite musician out there right now. In the middle of January, I heard that she was coming to St. George for a concert. So I got right on it and got some tickets for us to go and gave Leisa the tickets for her birthday. She was excited and even though I didn't know much about her music besides the few on the radio, I was excited to go with Leisa.
So last night we went out for dinner as kind of a continuation of Leisa's birthday celebration. We got to the concert at about 7:00 pm and the place was empty! The concert was only 30 minutes from starting and we were afraid that no one would be there. That would have been sad for Colbie. But at about 7:25 it was about 3/4 full and in typical Utahn fashion, the rest started showing up after 7:30 and some even showed up half an hour late. I just don't understand that.
The opening show was a guy who is part of her band. His name is Justin Young and he is from Hawaii. I guess he is real famous and well known there even though we had never heard of him. Leisa really liked his music although it wasn't my flavor. He played for about 45 minutes and then after a bit of a break, Colbie came out. It was a really cool entrance and the show was really good. Her interaction with the crowd was okay, nothing special. Every song that was played, Leisa knew and I really liked. They are really catchy and pretty chill. After about 90 minutes, she rapped it all up. Kind of a short show, but it was good! I mean, the girl is gorgeous and has a real laid back style that really connects with our generation. Her music was great and the highlight of the night was when her stage manager came out to give her a guitar. He was this 5'5" guy with long blonde hair to his shoulder named Andy. Colbie asked him to stay and told us how he has such a great voice and that she wanted him to perform a song for us. He acted all shy and I thought he was going to turn around and run for the curtains, but all of a sudden he pulled out this microphone from his back pocket and the band started playing a real souped up version of "No Woman, No Cry" by Bob Marley. It was amazing!! The guy needs to go on American Idol cause he would win. I mean, he was that good. And at the end he did one of those jump kicks that was hilarious!
We had a great night. It was fun to go and jam with Leisa and see her loving the music. Check out Colbie, she really is pretty good.
In other news, I oficially hate our camera. Maybe it is that I don't know how to use it, but it takes crappy, grainy pictures. And it's supposed to be 12 megapixels!!
Colbie checking out the skills of her guitarist. He had a few nice solos.

Colbie and the gang! Really a fun group of people. They would interact with each other and every now and then with those who would yell "I love you" and stuff like that.

This is "Lucky". It is a duet that Colbie sings with Jason Mraz, but her bandmate Justin Young filled in for him tonight and it was really good.
This is "Bubbly". Probably her most famous song. She said that she wrote it about falling in love. And then she said when she actually did fall in love, realized that it is 100 times better than this. Kind of cool I thought.

4 comments:

mom/Janet said...

You should have recorded No Woman No Cry. And as far as the camera. You were a long way away and I think they are pretty good. Sounds like a fun night. Is the birthday party over now?

Jeanna said...

I hate our camera too...

Leisa deserves the best, even a bday celebration that goes for 3 weeks! :)

Jessica said...

How fun! Leisa, I think Callie Kofoed was at that concert too!

Melissa DeLeon said...

I understand the camera-hate, but think I expect too much, and indoor photos without flash is always fuzzy.
It is not just Utah. I am always amazed that people get to concerts late, but realize that it is most likely because they don't care to see the opening act. Understandable, but at the same time, you paid for it so why not?
Glad you had a good time at the concert equivalent of a chick-flick!