Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 1: Miami and boarding the Cruise

We are back and we had a great time!! The weather in the Caribbean this time of year is just brutal though. Every day was 90 degrees or hotter and the humidity was near 90% as well. You couldn't walk at a normal pace on flat ground for 1 minute without getting completely drenched in sweat. I tried not to let it bother me, but I am just not used to that kind of heat.
 On Sunday we didn't have to be to the boat until 12:30 pm and so Leisa and I checked out the chapels near our hotel before hand so that we could attend that morning before we boarded the ship. The only one within walking distance only had a spanish ward. That was fine though cause I figured I could translate enough for Leisa so that she could understand what was going on. We got up and ready and left without really knowing the tolls the short 2 mile walk would have on our bodies. We walked through "Little Havana" and it was neat because it really felt like we were in another country. By the time we got to the church, my clothes were already drenched and my feet were getting blisters. We went in and sat down and this brother came up and sat behind us and asked if we wanted translation. Leisa said yes and he gave her some headphones and translated the whole meeting for her. That was nice! The talks were really good that day and we were really glad we decided to go. It's always a neat experience to go and see the church in other parts of the world.

After church we headed to the port to get on the boat...I mean to wait in line for 2 hours! It was so hot but we prevailed and got on the ship with time to spare. It was a huge ship and it took me till Tuesday or Wednesday to really feel like I knew my way around. The ship left promptly at 4 pm and we made sure we were on the top to see Miami slowly disappear. Then we watched the end of the World Cup Final which they were showing on the big screen outside. That was pretty much the first day. The rest was just resting and getting caught up with the ship. 




Oh, and then there was karaoke. That night I sang a beauty by Elton John, "Your Song". Enjoy!


6 comments:

e.m. said...

next singer:

dale.

hahahahaha - I LOVE IT! that's awesome. glad you guys had a good time. what good members your are to find a chapel PRIOR, you're oh so organized.

Abbie said...

Dude dogg, you look awesome!!

Zane and Cami said...

I don't know who "Abbie" is...but I agree with her comment. You guys look great-I wanna see more pics of this awesome adventure you two were able to enjoy though!

Andrew & Christy said...

Love it Dale!! That's sweet. Glad you had a great time!

mom/Janet said...

Looks familiar. Cruising that is. I'm with you on the heat but the cruise is a good pay off for waiting in line. Glad you had a good first day on the ship.

Aunt Beth said...

Like parents, like son. I remember your folks looking up directions to a chapel in Russia I think it was. (If not Russia, that part of the world.) Never hurts to start out in God's good graces.

If you're missing all that heat and humidity, come here tomorrow where both heat and humidity are going to be in the 90's. Ugh.

Can't wait for add'l episodes...