After Big Buddha, we took the bus and metro clear across Hong Kong to another VERY mountainous area. We came to see the 10 Thousand Buddha's. When we got off the metro there were no signs and we used our GPS to walk a short distance and found this grand entrance in a very weird location so we figured this was it. We started exploring and hiking around and thought it was lucky that there were a few escalators so we didn't have to hike ALL of the stairs, just 1/2 of them.
See how far up we are already? It was Straight up! Beautiful buildings along the way and things to see but you just kept climbing.
Well we started to wonder if this was the right place because it didn't look like what we had seen online, but then we would come across some Buddha's and we could see the golden statues through the trees so we thought we just had to keep climbing.
Turned out we were exploring an active crematory. We even saw the kilns.
Very Beautiful
When we got to the top we were so confused because we could see the 10 thousand Buddha statues through the trees. Only problem was we were about 30 feet from where we wanted to be and it was blocked by some fences!!! They were right next to each other but didn't connect. It was so disheartening to have to climb BACK down the mountain, find the entrance to the 10 thousand Buddha's which was about 50 feet away but behind a parking garage with absolutely NO SIGNS indicating it was anything more than a 2 fences meeting together. UGH! Then climb back up the mountain. Worth it even though our feet and bodies hurt SO much that night.
Ten Thousand Buddha's
I seriously was so excited to see this. I didn't even know it was possible to make 10 thousand different Buddha's with different poses, facial expressions etc. It was so neat!
And.... I got to see a wild monkey!!
Luckily I didn't try to feed him because we later saw a sign that said beware of wild monkey attack!
Inside this building were literally thousands of smaller Buddha's lining the wall. I wish I knew how many life-size statues lined the hike up.
Pretty spectacular views
Hiking back down by legs were shaking!

4 comments:
How sad that you climbed all the way to the top and were in the wrong place! Your pictures once you finally arrived at the top again seemed definitely worth it though! How neat! I'm surprised they don't have more escalators...
Wild monkeys?!! Awesome! But not the attacks! Yikes!
The 10,000 buddha's are amazing! seriously so cool that you saw these!
These pictures are so inspiring and I WANT TO GO!
Post a Comment